I am writing this assuming that you are aware of the basic Google Analytics integration and dashboards. Real time reporting in 2013 was the major achievement for Google Analytics and the topic attracted huge discussion in the Webmaster’s communities. After the real time reporting in Google Analytics, the features in GA have undergone tremendous updates and with the new upgrade of Universal Analytics, you can not only minimize the coding efforts for custom tracking but you can also create advance custom dimensions & metrics; and new GA can also help you to establish connection between sessions of multiple devices.
Reasons for GA up-gradation
- Multiple device session tracking via custom user-id creation:- Untill this this up-gradation you must have noticed that GA was attributing visiting from different sources to be different even if the visitor was same using different devices but after this up-gradation GA was able to tackle these sessions and customizations of visitors via different devices were considered as single either it’s webpage from mobile, desktop, tablet, gaming console or kiosks. To make this reporting work for you, you just need to assign a unique value to such visitors and whenever the visitor login from his email id that specific user-id gets associated with the user session. Have a look at the picture below; a visitor logged in the mid of the session 2 and logged out at the mid of the session 4 even though all his behavior and data across the session from 2-4 was captured.
- Tracking data across domain without any cross domain custom codes:- Now you don’t have to maintain sessions across top-level domains by
_linkByPost()methods. The functionality is inbuilt in Universal Analytics and comes automatically with the up-gradation
- Adjustment in Search Engine Source definitions:- You can add, adjust and change the different search engine sources. The sources which works for you as a Search Engine but Google has not considered that source as SE in the GA dashboard then you can define these sources as per your needs.
- User define sessions:- In Google Analytics visitor sessions are by-default capped to 30 minutes and for the campaigns cookies are available for 180 days. You can now limit these variations as per your business needs. For example if you have a online newspaper then you may set your sessions to 120 minutes as visitor might visit the portal in the interval of 2 hours for many times and also from different devices.
- Exclusion & removal of different referral sources: With Universal analytics up-gradation you can add and edit the search engine referral sources
- Exclusion of search terms:- With Universal Analytics you can exclude terms of your choice from appearing as sources for organic traffic. Once excluded, terms that comes from this traffic will appear as direct visit.
- Advance Metrics customization:- You can now segregate your data and performance report on the basis of visitors normal session and login session
If you are upgrading to Universal Analytics make sure that you are also making the code changes at your event tracking, eCommerce tracking etc and more details about the up-gradation can be found here Google Analytics universal up-grdation.
All these integration can be done very easily and for java-script changes your may take the help of a developer and for clarification and rectification of any discrepancy in data you may contact me.
- Breaking SEO rules and Ruling without content
- Handling Website Down Time & Minimizing SEO Losses